Monday, June 8, 2009



The radio station at my work promises, somewhat predictably, to play “the freshest hits”, yet all it can fathom is a very myopic slice of music from the late 90s. The type of music played on this station is so specific that even after consultation with numerous music guides, I am unable to find a genre that adequately caters for it. Thus I have created my own. "End-of-the-century adolescent rock"- less confronting and demonic than Marilyn Manson and Korn, but cruder and more self-effacing than Britney, NSync and the rest of their manicured, manufactured cohorts, this music took the last remains of grunge and fused it with a kind of twisted sense of humour: think Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, Goo Goo Dolls, Blink 182, Barenaked Ladies and Weezer amongst others. The twenty-something year old DJ’s spin the anthems from their high school glory days, creating a dripping ambiance of angst, affront sexuality and sweaty armpits; things all rather inappropriate for a commerical store. At first I loathed listening to this music that I felt was more apt as a soundtrack for one of those house parties on a bad Jason Biggs movie (eg. Loser) where everyone would drink out of those red plastic cups (I once screeched to my family that I worked in a "pathetic timewarp"), but the more I listen to this radio station, the more it grows on me. Where else would I pick up a re-newed appreciation for “Brick” by Ben Folds Five, or “Breakfast At Tiffany’s” by Deep Blue Something? Sometimes I even scare myself, after finding I'm humming along to an Alanis Morisette tune. And besides, this continual playing of music from a decade ago makes me feel my job exists in the past, not in the present, and this can only be a good thing. When I think about days at work from a week ago, they kind of feel like they are lost somewhere in that clouded era of the Milennium Bug, cargo pants and Dawson's Creek.