Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I can only sleep on one pillow. This idiosyncrasy, along with other less subtle ones, such as the fact I don't eat cheese (I have disowned friends who have not known this), and when I brush my teeth I make the face of a buck-toothed beaver, essentially make up who I am. These actions are not merely shallow lifestyle choices, and come with their share of disadvantages (eg. I can't enjoy cheese and crackers, and could never star in a Colgate commerical). Yet only being able to sleep on one pillow is the most problematic. The pillow cannot be too thin (otherwise it's just like sleeping on no pillow at all) or too thick (like sleeping on two pillows, and despite being the owner of a relatively long neck, I cannot manage this), meaning that perfect pillow that sits somewhere in between, is so illustrious and hard to find. So imagine my sheer delight when I found the perfect one in a hotel a few weeks back. It was completely compatible with my nocturnal behaviour. Night after night I had ten glorious hours of sleep, and woke up with my head propped up behind this precious piece of manchester. I decided right then and there that I had to steal it. I would take it home, and have my nights spent in absolute comfort. Since coming home, however, I have tossed and turned for hours every night, and wake up in the morning sleeping on my bony elbow, with the pillow strewn across the floor. I can think of no other reason, excpet karma for my petty theft.